Think green, be green, drink green. The perfect St. Patrick's Day celebration libation without the alcohol, too! No booze, just lots of phyto-nutrients, anti-oxidants, AND probiotics.
1. Juice the apple, celery, and parsley. It should yield about 1 cup (240 ml) of green juice. Set aside.
2. Place the sugar in the mason jar and bring water to boil. Pour the water over sugar to melt. Allow to cool completely.
3. Add green juice to the sugar water.
4. Break open the probiotic capsules and pour in probiotic powder. Stir well.
5. Place the Kraut Source moat onto the jar, and secure with the standard mason jar ring.
6. Fill the moat 3/4 up with tap water, and place the cap on.
7. Place your ferment in a warm spot for 2 - 3 days. (Unlike fermenting vegetables/fruits,
lacto-fermented beverages can be placed in warm spots and it's OK if exposed to sunlight)
8. After the initial fermentation of 2 - 3 days, filter the liquid into a flip-top glass bottle (such as this one), and allow to ferment further for 2 - 3 days. This will help to produce a more effervescent drink. Store in the refrigerator when ready.
Tip: Enjoy it straight from the bottle, over ice, or dilute it with sparkling mineral water.
Note: As the flip jar creates a seal, the carbon dioxide that is produced during fermentation cannot escape. This is what will give the beverage bubbles; however, the carbon dioxide can also cause the bottle to explode if too much pressure is built up. Follow these steps a couple of times a day while at room temperature.
1. Open the cap, allow the carbon dioxide to go "whooosh," and then close it up again.
2. Once in the fridge, the cooler temperature will slow down the buildup, and you will not need to "burp" the bottle.
If you are concerned about exploding bottles, use a recycled plastic soda bottle. Open the cap to "burp" and screw back on. Plastic will expand with the build up of carbon dioxide.
*"Non-alcoholic" beverages are defined as having no more than .5% alcohol-by-volume. As there is a small amount of alcohol produced in lacto-fermented beverages, be mindful of consumption by children.
**Get a probiotic supplement containing several strains of lactobacilli cultures.
Here's another version made with berries to try.
Comments will be approved before showing up.