This is a beautiful, gently effervescent libation endowed with probiotics from Thrive.
1. Bring water to boil and pour into the mason jar.
2. Add honey or sugar and stir to dissolve. Allow mixture to cool completely.
3. Add in the Thrive capsules by opening the capsules and pouring in only the probiotic powder. Mix well.
4. Add in the chopped persimmons.
5. Place Kraut Source moat on the jar, and secure with the standard mason jar ring.
6. Fill the moat 3/4 up with tap water, and place the cap on.
7. Place your ferment in a warm spot for 2 - 3 days. (Unlike fermenting vegetables/fruits, lacto-fermented beverages can be placed warm spots and it's OK if exposed to sunlight)
8. After the initial fermentation of 2 - 3 days, filter the liquid into a flip-top glass bottle (see image above), and allow to ferment further for 2 - 3 days. This will help to produce a more effervescent drink. Store in the refrigerator when ready.
-Enjoy it straight from the bottle, over ice, or dilute it with sparkling mineral water.
-You can substitute other fruits that are in season in your area. Apples, pears, mangoes, and citrus fruits are great options.
Note: As the flip bottle creates a seal, the carbon dioxide that is produced during fermentation cannot escape. This is what will give the beverage bubbles; however, the carbon dioxide can also cause the bottle to explode if too much pressure is built up. Follow these steps a couple of times a day while at room temperature:
1. Open the cap, allow the carbon dioxide to go "whooosh," and then close it up again.
2. Once in the fridge, the cooler temperature will slow down the buildup, and you will not need to "burp" the bottle.
If you are concerned about exploding bottles, use a recycled plastic soda bottle. Open the cap to "burp" and screw back on. Plastic will expand with the build up of carbon dioxide.
As a nutritionist, I know the powerful healing properties of probiotics. And that is why I ferment and encourage people to make their own lacto-fermented foods at home. In addition, I advocate the use of probiotic supplements, especially for those with digestive issues. Thrive is formulated by MegaSporeBiotics
*"Non-alcoholic" beverages are defined as having no more than .5% alcohol-by-volume. As there is a small amount of alcohol produced in lacto-fermented beverages, be mindful of consumption by children.
**Get a probiotic capsule containing several strains of lactobacilli cultures.
Comments will be approved before showing up.