Sausage & Veggies Ingredients:
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt over the cabbage and massage by squeezing handfuls between your palms and fingers with a medium firm pressure. Do this for about 5 minutes. The purpose of the massage is to help release juice from the cabbage. The longer you do so, the more cabbage juice will be released.
3. Let bowl of cabbage mixture sit on counter for 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Add in the caraway seeds and juniper berries, then place mixture into a clean quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. Use a pounder, spoon, pestle, or the end of a rolling pin to temper down the cabbage and to help build up more liquid.
5. Be sure to leave at least 3 inches of clearance from the top of the cabbage and the opening of the jar or pack it to the shoulder of the jar.
6. Depending on the quality of the cabbage, you may or may not get a lot of juice. If needed, add enough filtered water* to cover the sauerkraut-to-be by about an inch.
7. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 10 -14 days in a dark cool spot. (68 – 72° F is ideal).
8. When the ferment has achieved a taste to your liking, replace Kraut Source with a standard mason jar lid and ring, and transfer to the refrigerator.
*If you don’t have filtered water, just boil tap water and let it cool before using.
Sausage & Veggies Directions:1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Comments will be approved before showing up.