This recipe is inspired by Angelo Garro of Omnivore Salt.
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a large stainless steel, wood, or ceramic bowl, and add in salt. Mix well and massage with clean hands for about 3 - 4 minutes.
2. Add in rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Add in about 1/3 of the cabbage mixture into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar, and using a kraut pounder, or the back of a rolling pin, tamper down the cabbage mixture. Repeat the process until the cabbage mixture reaches the shoulder of the jar.
4. Place Kraut Source onto the jar.
5. Allow to ferment at room temperature, away from direct sunlight for 7 - 10 days. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off if necessary.
6. When ready, remove and replace Kraut Source with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Store in the refrigerator.
Durum wheat pasta with Omnivore Sicilia Sauce, topped with Omnikraut.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
February 17, 2018
Have this fermenting on my counter right now using my Kraut Source airlock – can’t wait to try it!