- 2-1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 - 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 lb red beets, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium firm apple, cored and sliced
(Chose any type of apple that you prefer.)
- 1/2 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup organic raisins
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
1. Make a brine by bringing the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow to cool before using.
2. Place beets, apple, onion, and raisins in a bowl and mix well.
3. Place the mixed ingredients and rosemary into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar and gently temper down with a wooden spoon or kraut pounder.
The top of the ingredients should be at the shoulder of the jar.
4. Pour in the brine. It should be about one inch above the top of the beet mixture.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 10 - 12 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days if there is water in the moat, and top off if necessary.
6. When the ferment has achieved a taste to your liking, remove Kraut Source and replace with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
Note: I love this ferment served with creme fraiche over a savory pancake.