May 1, 2020
What? Strange as it may sound, this recipe makes an unique creamy vegan spread that is permeated with the live-cultured nuance of lacto-fermented dill pickles, or what we call Real Pickles, and a hint of garlic.
1 Tablespoon Celtic sea salt
1-1/2 cup filtered water
2 Tablespoons Real Pickles brine*
+ 2 Tablespoons for blending after fermentation
6 oz. whole raw cashew
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic
fresh ground pepper
1 pint-size, wide mouth mason jar
1 Kraut Source
* If you do not have fermented pickle brine on hand, sauerkraut brine will do, but it won't taste quite as good.
1. Make a brine by dissolving the sea salt into water.
2. Quickly rinse cashew in cold water and drain. Place into the jar with the bay leaf and garlic.
3. Pour brine over the ingredients to fully cover by at least one inch, then add in the 2 Tablespoons of fermented pickle brine.
4. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions.
5. Place your prepared jar away from direct sunlight and allow to ferment for 3 - 4 days.
6. When ready, drain the cashew, but reserve the liquid.
7. Place the cashew into a blender and add in the 2 additional Tablespoons of fermented pickle brine. Turn on blender to puree content.
(Depending on your blender, you may need to add in a little more liquid to facilitate blending everything into a smooth paste. If that is the case, add in the reserved drained liquid one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I like it to be the same as a cream cheese spread.)
8. Once you have a smooth spread, taste for flavor and add in more salt, or spices of choice to taste. Blend again in incorporate and then transfer to a glass jar for storage in the fridge.
Note: Since your Pickle Flavored Cashew Spread was fermented and also had the addition of cultured pickle brine, it will keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, but you may like it so much that it'll only last a few days...
Chief Fermentation Officer
Comments will be approved before showing up.