I absolutely love these delightful mini cucumbers known as Mexican sour gherkins or watermelon cucumbers (Melothria scabra). They ferment fabulously and keep for a very long time. I have a jar in my fridge from last summer that are still crisp and tangy.
Spotting these in my local market a few days ago next to the organic corn, I concocted this new recipe and added in a few other unique ingredients, including corn, for a super refreshing and crisp and cultured summer recipe.
1. Make a brine by dissolving the sea salt in water. Set aside.
2. Put the packet of Perfect Pickles Spice Blend* in the bottom of a wide-mouth, quart-size mason jar.
3. In a large bowl, mix the other ingredients together. Then pack into the jar.
4. Pour the brine into the jar until it fully covers the top of the ingredients.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 6 - 7 days away from direct sunlight.
6. When ready, remove Kraut Source, and cover jar with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Store in the refigerator.
* You can also just use 1 Tablespoon mustard seeds, 1 Bay Leaf, and 1/2 Tablespoon of any green loose leaf tea as a substitute.
Note: Although you can store this for a long time, it's best to enjoy this while it's still summer. Try it with tacos, or mix the ferment with a salad. And don't forget that the brine is also delicious and packed with minerals and probiotics too. So use the brine in a salad dressing, or add to a cocktail.
Happy Summer Fermenting!
Comments will be approved before showing up.