Fermented Carrot, Dill & Leek served over Organic Volcano Rice from Lotus Foods
Carrots ferment beautifully and pair well with dill and leeks. I used the "Purple Haze" carrots from my local farmers' market, but regular carrots will do just fine. Interesting to note that after about 3-4 days of fermenting, the purple is drawn out from the carrots and dyes the leek a pretty pink color, while the carrots turn into the familiar carrot-orange hue.
1. Bring the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt to make the brine. Allow to cool completely before using.
2. Place the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Pack the mixed ingredients into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. Use a kraut pounder, pestle, or back of a rolling pin to temper down the vegetables.
4. Top off with the brine until itcovers the vegetables by one inch (2.5 cm).
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for about 7 - 8 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
6. When ready, remove Kraut Source and replace with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
Comments will be approved before showing up.