In this recipe, we combine the warm, comforting flavors of Fall squashes with the beautiful
texture of Lotus Food's Organic Red Rice, accompanied by a probiotic-rich, homemade
Cinnamon Purple Kraut. This pairing is simple to prepare and also delicious!
Lotus Foods is a maverick company that is leading the way for environmental sustainability and equitable relationships with the farmers who produce the rice. The Organic Red Rice used in this recipe just won the New Hope Nexty Award.
1. Bring the water to a boil and pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl. Make a brine by dissolving the salt. Allow to cool before using.
2. Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl and mix in the other ingredients.
3. Pack the cabbage mixture up to the shoulder of a quart-size mason jar.
4. Top with brine to cover the cabbage by one inch (2.5 cm).
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar, and allow to ferment for 10 - 14 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat and top off as needed.
6. When finished, remove Kraut Source and replace with a standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
1. In a small bowl, mix chicken cubes, tamari, and sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Put the rice In a medium pot and add the water and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer, and allow to cook for about 5 - 6 minutes.
3. While the rice is simmering, mix the prepared chicken with the rest of the ingredients and add to the top of the rice.
4. Place a cover over the pot. Adjust the heat to low, and cook for about 35 - 40 minutes, or until the chicken is done and rice is cooked through.
5. Mix the garnishing tamari and sesame oil and drizzle over the cooked dish. Top with the chopped green onion.
6. Serve immediately with the Cinnamon Purple Kraut.
*For a vegetarian/vegan version, simply omit the chicken and increase the amount of cut squash from 1/2 cup (120 ml) to 1 cup (240 ml).