1. Bring filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow the brine to cool completely.
2. Trim off 1⁄4 in (6 mm) of the cucumbers at the blossom end.
3. Place the dill, bay leaf, mustard seeds, onion, garlic, and tea leaves into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar and pack in the cucumbers.
(If the whole cucumbers are long and exceed shoulder of the mason jar, cut them in half or into slices)
4. Cover the contents with the brine until it reaches about 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the top of the cucumbers.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
6. Replace Kraut Source with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
Note: Trimming the cucumbers at the blossom end and adding tea leaves will help to keep your pickles crunchy.