I have been in on a cinnamon craze for quite a while now, and created this absolutely fabulous ferment using the sweet, and warming spice. Hope you will like it as much as I do. Actually, I LOVE it!
Organic, high-quality ground cinnamon can be found at www.spicely.com.
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a large glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl, and sprinkle the salt in.
2. Massage the cabbage with your hands for about 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Add in the apple, raisins, and cinnamon. Mix well. Allow the mixture to rest in the bowl for about 30 minutes. This will help to draw out liquid from the cabbage.
4. Pack the cabbage mixture into a quart-size mason jar. Using a wooden spoon or rolling pin, firmly press the mixture down until it reaches the shoulder of the jar.
5. Top with brine* to cover the cabbage by one inch (2.5 cm).
6. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment between 10 - 12 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
7. Replace Kraut Source with a standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
*Brine ratio = 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt dissolved in 1 cup (240 ml) filtered water