In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I created this vegan version of corned beef and cabbage.
It's super easy to make, and absolutely satisfying. I even found a beautiful organic Jade Pearl Rice from Lotus Foods to bring on more green.
Start by cooking the Jade Pearl Rice according to directions on the package. Then prepare the other ingredients.
For the braised cabbage
1. Cut the cabbage into large wedges, with the core attached to each wedge.
2. Place the wedges in a shallow saute pan and add broth/water, wine, spices, and seasoning. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is very tender.
3. While cabbage is cooking, prepare the vegan "corned beef".
For the vegan "corned beef"
1. Heat a large cast iron pan or flat grill top to medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil of choice.
2. Brush molasses on both sides of the mushroom slices.
3. Place the brushed slices onto the heated pan and seared on each side for about 2 minutes.
4. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
When the rice is cooked, and the cabbage is braised, assemble the ingredients onto dinner plates and serve with a healthy portion of Purple Kraut with Caraway Seeds.
Oh, for the four-leaf clover: Please ask a leprechaun. Good luck!!!
Did you know that according to tradition, each leaf is believed to represent something:
the first is for faith, the second is for hope, the third is for love, and the fourth is for luck.
Comments will be approved before showing up.