Seared Pork Chops with Kumquat & Chocolate Topping
Ingredients and Preparation:
1 cup brine from Fermented Kumquats
2 pork chops
1 Tablespoon lard, butter, or coconut oil for cooking
Sea Salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
For the Kumquat Chocolate Topping:
Part One -
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1 Tablespoon cacao powder
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons Fermented Kumquats brine
5 - 6 Fermented Kumquats, chopped
1 sprig fresh dill or parsley, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Marinade the chops in Fermented Kumquat brine for 24 - 48 hours.
2. When ready to cook, remove chops from brine and pat dry with paper towel. Discard the brine.
3. Make the Kumquat Chocolate Topping (Part One) by placing the ingredients in a food processor to mortar & pestle and blend or mash into a rough paste. Set aside.
Then make Part Two by mixing the chopped kumquats and fresh herb together. Set aside.
3. Heat a cast-iron on high heat, add in oil, and place the chops into the pan. Lightly season with salt & pepper.
4. Allow the chops to cook on one side for about 2 minutes, then turn them over, and season the flipped side. Lower the heat to medium.
5. Cover the pan and cook for another 8 - 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F.
6. Place the seared pork chops on two separate plates and top each with a portion of the Kumquat Chocolate Topping.