Rose & Vanilla Kraut
Is there anything more enchanting then the soft, blushing beckoning of roses? And the mesmerizing aroma of vanilla?
Can they be combined with sauerkraut?!? Yes! I combined these ingredients and came up with this beautiful
juxtaposition of sweet, savory and sour with all the goodness of probiotics.
1.5 pounds cabbage, finely shredded
1-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
1 whole vanilla bean, slit in half, length-wise
(My favorite, sustainably-sourced, Madgascar vanilla beans are from LaFaza)
1/3 cup rose buds*
(I get organic rose buds from Mountain Rose Herbs)
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a large (non-plastic) mixing bowl. Add salt and message the cabbage for about 5 minutes.
2. Set aside for about 30 minutes and allow the salt to draw out moisture from the cabbage.
3. Add in the rose buds and mix gently.
4. Put about 1/3 of the mixture into a quart-size, wide mouth mason jar. Using the back of a wooden spoon or a kraut pounder, pack the cabbage mixture in tightly. Add the slit vanilla bean, placing it on the side of the jar.
5. Continue with the rest of the cabbage mixture by adding in another 1/3, packing tightly. Repeat again until the mixture reaches the shoulder
of the jar.
6. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions. Remember to fill the moat with water.
Place your ferment in a cool spot, and away from direct sunlight. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days.