- 6 – 8 kirby or small Persian cucumbers
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons (15 - 30 ml) Celtic Sea Salt®, or other high quality sea/mineral salt
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 rounded teaspoon (5 ml) of loose green tea leaves (organic if possible)
1. Bring 3-1/2 cups (840 ml) of filtered water to a boil. Pour into a bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow the brine to cool completely.
2. Trim off 1⁄4 in (6 mm) of the cucumbers at the blossom end.
3. Then place the dill, bay leaf, mustard seeds, onion, garlic, and tea leaves into a quart size, wide-mouth mason jar and pack in the cucumbers.
(If the whole cucumbers are long and exceed shoulder of the mason jar, cut them in half or into slices.)
4. Cover the contents with the salt brine until it reaches about 1 in (2.5 cm) above the top of the cucumbers.
Place your Kraut Source system onto the jar. Check every few days to be sure that the moat has water, and top off as needed.
Your real pickles are ready in about 7 - 10 days!
Note: Trimming the cucumbers at the blossom end, and adding in tea leaves will help to keep your pickles crunchy.