Purple Kale, Cabbage & Fennel Ferment
What's really cool about this recipe is that you can see the transformation happen right before your eyes! I started off with purple kale, and watched the color be drawn out during the fermentation process, until the end result is pearl-pink cabbage, jade kale, and a lovely rose-tinted juice that tastes deliciously perky.
1 lb. green cabbage, finely shredded
2 - 3 purple kale leaves, rough chopped or shredded
1/2 bulb fennel, very finely shredded
1-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, optional
- Place the cut vegetables in a large bowl, and add salt.
- Massage with your hands for about 5 - 6 minutes. Longer if you are having fun. Then allow mixture to rest for about 45 minutes.
- Put the mixture into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. Use a kraut pounder or wooden spoon to pack in the veggies nice and tight.
- If there isn't enough liquid (released from the cabbage) to cover the top of the vegetables by 1", you can either top off with brine* OR wait 24 hours and see if more liquid gets drawn out, and then top with brine as needed.
- Which ever step you choose, place your Kraut Source system on according to directions, and allow the wonderful mixture to ferment for
at least 7 days, and up to 2 weeks.
*Brine = 1 teaspoon sea salt dissolved in 1 cup filtered water