Most Chinese home chefs make this classic preserved Chinese recipe using vinegar and white sugar. Although the taste may be good, adding vinegar and processed sugar does not promote the formation of healthy probiotics. This recipe uses a natural sweetener, and allow the magic of lacto-fermentation to turn the ingredients into a superfood packed with probiotics, AND it's yummy too!
12 oz. bok choy, chopped
6 oz. daikon radish, cut into matchsticks
1-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
2 stalks scallions, chopped
3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
3 - 4 dried red chiles
2 teaspoons palm sugar or Sucanat
1. Place the cut bok choy and daikon in a large bowl. Add salt and massage for about 5 minutes to help release moisture from the vegetables.
2. Allow the massaged veggies to rest for about 30 - 45 minutes.
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4. Pack the mixture into a quart-size, wide mouth mason jar.
5. Put your Kraut Source unit on according to directions.
6. Place your ferment in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight, and allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days.
(Remember to keep the moat filled with water.)
7. When ready, remove Kraut Source. Put the lid and band from the mason jar on and store in the fridge.