Fermented Mango & Tomato Salsa
1 cup (approx. 6 oz.) chopped mango
4 cups (approx. 12 oz.) chopped tomatoes
1/2 purple onion, chopped
1 cup (packed) cilantro leaves
1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon lime zest
1 Tablespoon whey OR fermented kraut juice from a batch of sauerkraut
1. Place all ingredients in a large glass, ceramic, or stainless steel bowl. Mix well.
2. Put ingredients into a one-quart, wide-mouth mason jar and secure your Kraut Source unit according to directions. There will be enough liquid released from the tomatoes to cover your salsa within 12 hours.
3. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 3 - 5 days.
Delicious with corn chips or on grilled meats.
And....you can use the fermented juice to make a live-culture cocktail! (see following recipe)
2 oz. tequila (I used Hornitos, Resposado)
1 Tablespoon fermented salsa juice (from the above recipe)
1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1. Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously 30 times.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Drink. Salut