In celebration of apple season AND Halloween, here's a recipe for Kraut Dracula:
Kraut Dracula (with Red Fangs)
1-1/2 lbs. red cabbage, finely shredded
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium apple, cut into thin sticks
2 - 3 teaspoons Red Fangs hot Hungarian paprika
(This is the BEST paprika I've ever tasted, but you can substitute with another brand.)
1. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and massage salt in for about 5 minutes to help release moisture.
Allow to rest for 30 minutes, if you have time.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and pack tightly into a quart-size, wide mouth mason jar.
3. If the cabbage doesn't release enough liquid to cover the top by at least one inch, then add in some brine.
(Brine: dissolve 1 teaspoon salt to 1 cup filtered water)
4. Place your Kraut Source on as directed.
5. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 10 - 12 days.
(Keep in a cool spot, away from sunlight)
6. When ready, remove Kraut Source. Place the standard mason jar lid and ring on and store in the fridge.
Here's to Prince Vlad!