- 1 cup brine from Kumquat Ferment
- 2 pork chops
- 1 Tablespoon lard, butter, or coconut oil for cooking
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
For the Kumquat Chocolate Topping:
Part One -
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons Kumquat Ferment brine
- 5 - 6 kumquats from Kumquat Ferment, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh dill or parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Marinade the chops in the fermented kumquat brine for 24 - 48 hours.
2. When ready to cook, remove chops from brine and pat dry with paper towel. Discard the brine.
3. Make the Kumquat Chocolate Topping (Part One) by placing the ingredients in a food processor or mortar & pestle and blend or mash into a rough paste. Set aside.
Then make Part Two by mixing the chopped kumquats and fresh herb together. Set aside.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet on high heat, add in oil, and place the chops into the pan. Lightly season with salt & pepper.
4. Allow the chops to cook on one side for about 2 minutes, then turn them over, and season the flipped side. Lower the heat to medium.
5. Cover the pan and cook for another 8 - 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F.
6. Top each chop with a portion of the Kumquat Chocolate Topping.
Enjoy this meal with the Cultured Kumquat Cocktail. Why not more kumquat, right?