- 3 medium, firm Fuyu* persimmons, skinned and diced
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) purple onion, small dice
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) whey (optional)
- 3/4 Tablespoon (11.25 ml) sea salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon (7.5 ml) grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- Enough filtered water to keep fruits submerged by one inch
(* Use only Fuyu, and NOT Hachiya, as the latter is not ready to eat until it is very soft.)
1. Mix all the ingredients, except water, in a bowl. Pack into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar.
2. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 6 - 7 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
3. Replace Kraut Source with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
This relish pairs beautifully with roasted turkey or ham, and it's a healthy, probiotic-rich substitute for standard cranberry relish recipes that are full of sugar.