- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sea salt
- 8 oz (226 g) yellow beets, peeled and cut into small dices
- 1o oz (282 g) cauliflower florets
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml) saffron strands, soaked in 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water for 10 minutes
1. Bring the filtered water to a boil and pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl. Dissolve the salt into the water. Allow to cool completely before using.
2. Mix the beets, cauliflower florets, shallot, and bay leaf in a bowl.
3. Put the mixed ingredients into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar until the contents reach the shoulder of the jar.
4. Stir the saffron-infused water into the brine, and pour into the mason jar. The brine should be about one inch (2.5 cm) above the top of the vegetables.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
6. When the vegetables have achieved a taste to your liking, remove Kraut Source and replace with a standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.