Red beets contain betaine which supports liver health. They also help with detoxification and calm inflammation. And of course, when beets are fermented, they also provide probiotics and plenty of vitamin C.
- 2-1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 - 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 lb red beets, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup organic raisins
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
1. Make a brine by bringing the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow to cool before using.
2. Place beets, apple, onion, and raisins in a bowl and mix well.
3. Place the mixed ingredients into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar and gently temper down
with a kraut pounder.
The top of the ingredients should be at the shoulder of the jar.
4. Pour in the brine. It should be about one inch above the top of the beet mixture.
5. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions and allow to ferment for 10 - 12 days.
Keep it away from direct sunlight and in a cool spot.
6. When the ferment has achieved a taste to your liking, remove Kraut Source and replace with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator for storage.