- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped mango
- 4 cups (960 ml) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) packed cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) whey OR fermented kraut juice from a batch of sauerkraut
1. Place all ingredients in a large glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl. Mix well.
2. Put ingredients into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. There will be enough liquid released from the tomatoes to cover your salsa within 12 hours.
3. Allow to ferment for 3 - 5 days at room temperature.
Delicious with corn chips or on grilled meats.
And....you can use the fermented juice to make a live-culture cocktail! (see following recipe)
2 fl oz (59 ml) tequila (I used Hornitos, Resposado)
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) fermented salsa juice (from the above recipe)
1/2 Tablespoon (7.5 ml) maple syrup
2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
1. Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously for 30 times.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Drink. Salut!