Here's a vegan version of eggnog that everyone will love, and includes a splash of live-cultures from sauerkraut brine that adds just the right hint of savory balance to the rich, sweet flavors of this classic Christmas libation. Whip up a batch and amaze your friends and family with this easy and thoughtful concoction that will please all your guests; from the herbivore to the omnivore.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 cup (240 ml) raw cashew
- 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) filtered water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) filtered water
- 1 fl oz. (30 ml) fermented brine from Classic Sauerkraut, Real Pickles, OR any fermented brine that is neutral in color so that it doesn't tint your Eggless Eggnog
- 2 - 3 medjool dates
- 1/4 frozen banana
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.48 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.48 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.48 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tablespoon (7.5 ml) maple syrup
- 2 fl oz. (59 ml) bourbon OR whiskey, more if desired (I highly recommend using Rye Whiskey from Spirit Works)
- 6 whole cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Grated nutmeg for garnish, optional
1. Soak the cashew in the filtered water with salt for 5 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Add a little more almond milk if you feel that the mixture is too thick.
Note: Do not be tempted to add in more banana; doing so will detract from the other flavors.
4. Serve over ice and top with grated nutmeg, if desired.