This recipe is for a quart-size mason jar
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sea salt
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) fresh or dried cranberries (non-sweetened)
- 3 medium green apples, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped purple onion
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional
1. Bring the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt to make the brine. Allow the brine to cool completely.
2. Place all the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Pack the mixture into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar.
4. Pour the brine into the jar until there is enough to cover the mixture by one inch (2.5 cm).
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment between 6 - 7 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
6. When the ferment has achieved a taste to your liking, replace Kraut Source with a standard mason jar lid and ring, and transfer to the refrigerator. Your relish will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator.