I created this recipe using fresh carrots along with organic frozen peas just to see how it would turn out and it's a tasty surprise on an old pairing that is made super healthy by fermentation.
This recipe is for a pint-size mason jar
- 1 cup (240 ml) filtered water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sea salt
- 10 oz (283 g) fresh green peas (thawed frozen peas are ok)
- 1.5 cups (360 ml) carrots (cut into small cubes, close to the size of peas)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1 sprig of rosemary
1. Bring the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the seas salt. Allow to cool before using.
2. Mixed the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
3. Pack into a pint-size, wide-mouth mason jar.
4. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
5. When the ferment has achieved a taste to your liking, remove Kraut Source and replace with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Store in the refrigerator.
Note: For a layered effect as shown in the image above, skip step 2. Pack the carrots into the jar first, then the peas, and add the lemon zest and rosemary last. You can add a lemon slice for a more dramatic effect.