The combination of these three ingredients is the perfect "menage a trois" of flavors. The carrot and apple provide just the right mingling of sweetness and crunch, while the radish brings depth and extraordinary health benefits that you may not be aware of. Did you know that radishes are good for promoting weight loss, prevention of heart disease, and helps to detoxify the liver and gall bladder? Well, now you know.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sea salt
- 2 cups (480 ml) filtered water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) fennel seeds
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small fuji apple, sliced
- 8 - 10 radishes, sliced
Note: Total weight of the last three ingredients should be about 14 oz (397 g)
1. Bring the filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow to cool completely.
2. Place the cut ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Put the mixture into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. The mixture should reach the shoulder of the jar.
4. Pour the brine into the jar until it reaches about one inch (2.5 cm) above the vegetables.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
6. When the vegetables have achieved a taste to your liking, remove Kraut Source and replace with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.