Garlic Chive Flowers with Carrots & Cucumber Ferment
12 oz. carrots, shredded
8 oz, cucumber (any type of cucumber works well), cut into small 1/2 moon pieces
a good handful (about 1/3 cups, loosely packed) of Garlic chive flowers
1-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
1/3 cup organic raisins
1 to 2 bay leaves
Brine* if necessary
(* Brine ratio = 1 teaspoon sea salt to 1 cup water)
1. Place the carrots, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add in the salt and massage well.
2. Allow the mixture to rest for about 3o minutes. There will be some liquid from the vegetables drawn out by the salt.
3. Add in the garlic chive flowers, raisins, and bay leaf.
4. Fill a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar with about 1/3 of the mixture, then use a wooden pounder or spoon to pack in the ingredients.
Add in 1/3 more of the ingredients and do the same. Repeat with the remaining 1/3.
5. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions.
6. Wait for 24 hours and see if more liquid has been released. There should be enough to cover the top of the vegetables by one inch.
If not, remove the Kraut Source parts, and pour in more brine until the desired level is reached. Place the Kraut Source back on.
7. Put the fermentation in a cool dark place in your kitchen, away from direct sunlight. Allow to ferment for 7 - 8 days.