Fermented Red Beets
Red beets contain betaine which supports our liver health. It also helps with detoxification and calms inflammation. And of course, when beets are fermented, they also provide probiotics and plenty of vitamin C.
- 1 lb. red beets, peeled and cut into 1" cubes (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3-1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 -3 slices ginger, optional
1. Make a brine by dissolving the sea salt in water. (If you do not filter your water, then boil tap water for about one minute. Dissolve sea salt in the hot water and allow to cool completely before using.)
2. Place beets and ginger, if using, in a one-quart mason jar and top with the brine. (The brine should reach the should of the jar. Top with a little more water if needed.)
3. Secure your Kraut Source unit on according to directions, and place in a cool, dark area on your kitchen counter.
Allow to ferment for at least a week. Remove Kraut Source and place the standard mason jar lid on when ready and store in the fridge.