Best Ever Cranberry & Apple Relish
This unique recipe combines cranberries cooked in warming spices, along with raw ingredients plus whey. Spinning a new twist on a classic PLUS the health benefits of lacto-fermentation!
- 3-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup organic raisins
- 1 cup cranberry juice (unsweetened)
- zest from one medium orange
- juice from one medium orange
- 3 cardamom pods, whole, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup red onions, cut into small dices
- 1 small granny smith apple, diced
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 Tablespoons whey (strained from cultured yogurt)
- a little more cranberry juice for topping off
1. Place the cranberries, raisins, cranberry juice, orange zest and juice, spices, maple syrup, and salt & pepper into a pot. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about 20 minutes, or until cranberries are soft.
2. Remove the cooked cranberry mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely. Remove cinnamon stick.
3. Mix in the diced red onion, apple, parsley leaves, and whey.
4. Place into a quart-size mason jar, pack down with a pounder or spoon to the shoulder of the jar.
5. Top with enough cranberry juice to cover the mixture by one inch.
6. Place Kraut Source unit on jar and allow to ferment for 3 - 4 days.
7. Place in fridge to store. Enjoy your relish within 2 weeks.
You can also add in ginger, or chili peppers for a kick!