Cinnamon & Raisin Purple Kraut
I have been in on a cinnamon craze for quite a while now, and created this absolutely fabulous ferment using the sweet, and warming spice.
Hope you will like it as much as I do. Actually, I LOVE it! You can also use the kraut juice to make a thirst quenching, soul lifting cocktail.
(Recipe for the cocktail will be in our new recipe book, coming soon...)
1-1/4 lb. purple cabbage, finely shredded
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 firm green apple, cut into small cubes, or shredded
1/3 cup organic raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl (glass or stainless steel), and sprinkle salt in.
2. Massage the cabbage with your hands for about 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Add in the apple, raisins and cinnamon. Mix well.
4. Pack the cabbage mixture into a quart-size mason jar to the shoulder.
5. Top with brine (1 teaspoon salt : 1 cup water) to cover the cabbage by 1".
6. Place Kraut Source on, and allow to ferment for 10 - 12 days.
An organic, high-quality cinnamon can be found at www.spicely.com.
Happy purple cinnamon kraut making!