Carrot, Radish & Apple Ferment
The combination of these three ingredients is the perfect "menage a trois" of flavors. The carrot and apple provide just the right mingling of sweetness and crunch, while the radish brings depth and extraordinary health benefits that you may not be aware of. Did you know that radishes are good for promoting weight loss, prevention of heart disease, and helps to detoxify the liver and gall bladder? Well, now you know.
Watch this quick tutorial video on how to make this ferment:
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sea salt
2 cups (480 ml) filtered water
1-1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) fennel seeds
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 small fuji apple, sliced
8 - 10 radishes, sliced
Note: Total weight of the last three ingredients should be about 14 oz. (397 g)
1. Make a brine by bringing the water to a boil and then stir in the salt. Allow to cool completely.
2. Place the cut ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Put the mixture into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. The mixture should not exceed the shoulder of the jar.
4. Top with the brine until it reaches about one inch above the vegetables.
5. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions, and allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days.
6. Keep your ferment in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. When ready, remove Kraut Source and replace with standard mason jar lid and
ring. Store in the fridge.