What to do with broccoli and chard stems? May I suggest fermenting them. Yeah! Let's do it, shall we?
Broccoli & Chard Stems Ferment
3-1/2 cups filtered water
1-1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
2 - 3 broccoli stems, peeled and cut into small dices
6 - 7 chard stems, cut into small pieces
1 small green apple, cored, and cut into small dices
2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, optional
(You should have enough ingredients to fill to the shoulder of the jar.)
1. Dissolve sea salt in the filtered water.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and then transfer to a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar.
3. Place your Kraut Source unit on according to directions.
4. Allow to ferment at room temperature for about 10 - 12 days.
(Keep away from direct sunlight.)
Serving Suggestion: Broccoli & Chard Ferment with Ham
Yield: 2 servings
1 cup Broccoli & Chard Stem Ferment (from recipe above)
8 oz. cooked ham
1/3 cup raw grated carrot
2 - 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
Dash of sea salt
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. Mix all the ingredients (except the olive oil) together.
2. Place onto a plate and drizzle with the olive oil.
This makes a great high-protein lunch; with live cultures to aid digestion and boost energy.